Hunting Safety Rules
With the arrival of fall, moose hunting season also gets underway in Northwestern Ontario. All hunters should take the following safety precautions.
- when you leave for your hunting trip, always tell someone exactly where you are going and when you expect to return.
- be sure to check the weather conditions for the area where you are going hunting and dress accordingly.
- always carry a survival kit with you.
- carry a compass and a map of the area yare going to, and know how to use them.
- in case of an emergency, stay calm and remain in the area. Do not wander.
- refrain from drinking alcohol while hunting!
For details with regards to the "hunting rules" you can review the Hunting Regulations Summary which you can obtain from license issuers, Ministry of Natural Resources offices, or on their website at www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/pubmenu.html
There is also an enforcement campaign against moose poaching which runs from September 15 to December 15. If you see moose poaching, call 1-866-34MOOSE (1-866-346-6673). You can also contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).